RicodJour

Default Paint Won't Stick to Plaster

New Remodeler wrote:
We have a 1920s home with plaster walls. We took the wallpaper off,
scraped the wallpaper paste, and washed with TSP. It did not look like
the walls had ever been painted. We then compounded the cracks,
sanded, and washed with water. Then we applied Behr latex primer and
two coats of Behr latex paint. It looks great, but when we tape
between ceiling and wall, say, some of the paint comes off with the
tape. HELP! What can we do about this?

Don't use tape. It's a crutch and the sooner you learn to cut in
without it, the better. I could show you how to cut in in five minutes
so that you'd never want to use tape again, but it's tough to describe.
A little practice goes a long way.

There are several contributing factors. How long did you let the walls
dry before applying the primer? If that first coat is compromised all
subsequent coats will be just as weak as the first. Another possible
factor is the type of tape you use. You should be using a low-tack
tape, such as the blue 3M tape. Finally, how you remove the tape could
be part of the problem. YOu should be pulling the tape off so that it
is almost 180 degrees to itself. In other words you are pulling the
tape back at a very sharp angle so it doubles back.