John

Default sewer smell upstairs bathroom!

wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 14:29:36 -0400, "John" wrote:

Are you sure you don't have a failed auto vent in the wall?
If they stick open they can stink up the place bad.
These nasty things were often put in if a toilet or sink was not close to
the
stack.

I can't say that we don't, but the main vent does run up through a wall just
a few feet away. The vent seems ok. I ran a garden hose of water down it and
could hear the water runing strong in the main septic pipe in the basement.
I can't imagine the pipe breaking in the wall, there's nothing tp cause it.
And, no water showed up on a wall or ceiling.

To rule out the septic tank, we're having it pumped this wednesday.

I'm about to lock the door and just get used to the downstairs bathroom.

-JB