Derek

Default OT - metal chop saw for logs?

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 20:15:22 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"
wrote:

Thanks all for your help.

I'm tending to agree with Don about the suitability - tried cutting a few
smallish logs with a 10" mitre saw and it wasn't easy going. If chop saws
are geared *up* (mine has gears alright and the motor label says 3750 RPM -
not sure what the blade RPM is though), it's not going to work, especially
since the logs tend to wiggle around, not having a uniform surface, and bind
on the blade.

Now, I wonder if building a chop saw with a 14 or 16" blade running in
pillowblocks or equivalent on the end of a pivot arm, belt driven by a motor
of suitable size on the other end would work? I would guess a 2 or 3HP 3600
RPM induction motor might be big (and durable) enough (?).

Laurie Forbes

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 04:17:06 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"
wrote:

This may not be a great idea but it has occurred to me that my 14" metal
chop saw, with a 14" *wood* blade, might be useful for cutting up small
logs
(4" to 6" or so) into firewood lengths. Anyone ever try something like
that
or have any comments??

Laurie Forbes

I think it would lug down and overheat in short order. Even a 10"
1-HP tablesaw (3450 RPM) will grunt a little cutting thick oak. The
chopsaw has about twice the speed so about half the torque -- and a
14" sawblade will need considerably more torque than a 10" blade does
-- and you're talking thicker wood than can be cut with a 10" saw.

Heavy duty hand-held circular saws have worm drives which reduce speed
and increase torque.

Saw blades need some torque, abrasive wheels need speed. A
chopsaw motor is not well-suited for running a large woodcutting blade
in thick wood.

Consider an electric chain saw (16 inch). They are cheap, quiet and
whizz through the small stuff. I'd gladly trade you your "chop" for my
"chain", but postage would be a killer.

Cheers.