D Murphy

Default Care and feeding of new mill-drill

Bill Schwab wrote in
news
From what I see there are far too few highly skilled people out there
and there is a lack of formal training programs to teach those
skills.

This is the dark side of advancing technology; more accurately, it's a
consequence of a lack of respect for history. One thing that really
scares me is the speed with which drafting machines/tables disappeared
from our educational system( at least it seems that way). CAD
software is great, but I think it should follow some descriptive
geometry on paper. Making printable lines was silly when was told I
would be forced to do it (we never actually bothered), but the
drafting experience was very useful.

The math alone is worth it. Then you add in the ability to lay out things
in wood for projects around the house, and you've got skills that serve you
well for a lifetime.

--

Dan