Christopher Tidy

Default What do you call this socket?

Pete Keillor wrote:
On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 22:48:54 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Robert Swinney wrote:

Chris,

Don't worry about trying to match some old socket. Go with some new sockets
and plugs as long as they have 4 prongs arnd are heavy enough to carry the
current. Better yet, hard-wire it in and get rid of cords on the floor.

Bob Swinney

Thanks for all the responses. I would buy new sockets, except for one
reason. All the parts I've collected for my phase convertor so far are
nice, old fashioned gear made from steel and cast iron. I want to
preserve this appearance for the whole machine, so I don't want to spoil
its looks by mounting a pair of el-cheapo plastic sockets on the front.
I'd like to use metal-bodied sockets if I possibly can. Any ideas?

Best wishes,

Chris

They may look plastic (they are), but pin & sleeve plugs and
receptacles are anything but cheap. The 62A Class 1 Div. II
receptacles with auxiliary contacts were about $800 ea. Plugs were
about $50-100. Crouse-Hinds in the US makes a lot of metal body plugs
and receptacles. They're probably cheaper, too. I believe they are
distributed in the UK as well.

Thanks for the information, Pete. I'll check out Crouse-Hinds. I had a
look at Hubbell yesterday, but annoyingly I couldn't view their
catalogue as they required me to have Internet Explorer!

Chris