Amun

Default sewer smell upstairs bathroom!

"John" wrote in message
news
Hey everyone,

I'm having a heck of a time finding the source of a sewer gas smell in the
upstairs bath. I'm on a private septic system (tank & field)

Smell is only in the upstairs bath, and only near the toilet area. Can't
pinpoint any exact sources. Can't detect smell from sink or shower drain.

I assumed it was the toilet wax ring, so I replaced that. No change. Next
thing I did was to remove toilet altogether and seal up the drain hole
with
seran wrap & rubber bands. No help. All drains seem to work fine. I

wondered
if it was the vent pipe plugged so ran a hose down the pipe from the roof-
it runs trhough just fine, I can hear the water running out the main pipe

the septic tank main pipe.

Could it be bad wax ring let some stink onto the plywood floor where the
toilet sat? Wife is scrubbing that now.

Can't seem to find the source!

Septic tank could use pumping, we moved in less than a year ago, but I'd
expect that to effect other drains too, especially the downstairs

bathroom.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Johny B

Just wondering if you say it's only in the one spot.
And you seem to have checked all the normal sources
(traps all filled)

do you have a vent fan there ?
In my last house a bird got trapped in one and died.
We just about went nuts trying to locate where the smell was getting in
As it only happened when the fireplace was burning and negative house
pressure pulled in the smell in through the vent fan

AMUN