Bill Gill

Default high efficiency gas furnace advice please

MLD wrote:

I'd rather have condensate water on the floor than shut down the furnace
because of a pump failure. If you're away for any length of time in the
winter (we head to Florida for a month) why in the world would I want to
shut down the furnace because of a condensate pump problem? What's water on
the floor as compared to freezing all the pipes in the house?
MLD

In my case I don't have a condensate pump, there is a
gravity feed to the outside, so I don't have to worry
about that. The main thing I would have to worry about
is the drain freezing up where it goes out through the
foundation. That isn't too likely, since it has an
elbow right outside the foundation and is right down
against the ground. However, in the unlikely event that
it does happen they put in a tee pointing up inside the
foundation and it will just drain into the crawl space.
It is something I will keep an eye on this winter,
just to be sure.

Of course if you have a slab foundation you can't manage
that very well. That's one more draw back to a slab.

Bill Gill