Ron Magen

Default A Poor Man's Truck -- seeking opinions on foldable trailer

'Not Enough Money' could have been my 'name' when I bought mine. While it
wasn't from HF, I think these are ALL made in the same factory in China.

Anyway, at the time I didn't have a 'specific' use for it . . . just
thinking ahead and the price was DAMN right!! It took an afternoon of casual
effort to assemble. I used a full sheet of 3/4 ply {scrap I had
scrounged}for the bed. I had to notch it for the hinges. It basically sat in
my driveway for about a year. It's first use was to pick-up a 15 foot boat
{YES, the bed is only 8 feet}. By bringing along some wood blocking, screws,
and a cordless drill/driver, I was able to form a bit of a 'cradle' on-site.
200+ miles each way - and no problems.

Since then I've built the 'rails' and transported 1,000 pounds of topsoil
for Joanne's raised beds garden. Just as a 'ho-hum' - several full sheets of
heavy ply & MDF, rolls of roofing material, 50-lb bags of gardening
materials, etc.

I do have some experience with 'small' trailers & their construction . . .
I've had a couple of boat trailers, and presently own one that I modified to
fit a specific sailboat. A few comments specific to the HF trailer and your
questions. . . .

Obviously, it's strong enough. Although carefully looking at the axle and
comparing it with the 'heavy duty' axel & hubs on the 'mini' trailer I just
bought from HF - I would get the 'heavy duty' version, if the price was
'right'.

I specifically wanted the 'full sheet' bed. I have to take it off to 'fold'
the trailer. It is stored behind the trailer. {The sheet could have been cut
in half to allow folding without removal}. A couple of bolts & nuts have to
be removed for folding. I thread them through other holes so they don't
'walk off'. I have the room, so I only fold for winter storage. Ready to go
it weighs maybe 225 pounds, while it is sprung for over 1,100. Thus the
unladed 'ride' is stiff and 'bouncy'. Mine tracks perfectly straight. She
also handled the MAX load with ease . . . I SHOULD have checked the tire
pressure and pumped THAT to MAX as well. They got really 'squished' and I
had some difficulty HAND-PUSHING it up the drive.

Now that I been 'coerced' into trading in my 18-year old pick-up for a
7-year old RODEO, the trailer has sort of 'come into it's own' . . . I can
no longer toss sheet goods in the back of 'my' vehicle.

Definitely NOT a 'piece of junk', but I think they are ALL a bit
over-priced. Especially now that the 'Free Shipping' has gone away {If you
have a local outlet - one just opened DANGEROUSLY near me - that is a
non-issue}. Recently, HF has offered them at some REALLY GOOD discounted
prices. That is why I picked up a heavy-duty 'mini' for $160. {The 'regular
duty' was $130}. The tires & axles would cost more than that if purchased on
the normal market.!!

Depending on your 'sensibilities' and usage I would recommend two 'extras' -
a folding 'tongue wheel' and {especially since the price has gone down} a
'trailer dolly' for moving it around - more so when it is loaded.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've had to be creative (and borrow neighbor's trucks a lot) to haul my
lumber. I also have a small garage. While browsing today I found a
foldable trailer
(http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90154).
Hmmm. Anybody in rec.woodworking have an opinion on this thing? Seems
big enoulg to carry my 4x8 baltic birch. Plus I can store it in the
garage.

Is it a hassle to fold it and un-fold it?

Is it pretty stable?

Is it a piece of junk?