Odinn

Default Some Thought On Intelligent Design - WAS: OT Is George BushDrinking?

On 10/6/2005 11:58 PM Fletis Humplebacker mumbled something about the
following:
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Fletis Humplebacker wrote:

"Duane Bozarth"

Fletis Humplebacker wrote:

"The harmony of natural laws, which reveals an intelligence
of such superiority that, compared with it all the systematic
thinking and acting of human beings is an utterly insignificant
reflection.

The human mind is not capable of grasping the Universe. We
are like a little child entering a huge library. The walls are
covered
to the ceilings with books in many different tongues. The child knows
that someone must have written these books. It does not know who
or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are
written.
But the child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the
books.....a
mysterious order which it does not comprehend, but only dimly
suspects."

But these don't address the actual thought process of how Einstein
thought the presence of God is manifested in the physical world. I
suspect (although I've never read a specific quotation to prove it)
that
he would have propounded the type of involvement that created the basic
underlying physical laws which we are still attempting to uncover and
that those laws are in fact consistent w/ the cosmological principle.

That is far different than the ID approach of continual erratic
intervention.

I don't agree. Alot of people seem to confuse it with a
Judeo-Christian God.
It doesn't exclude one but interpretations of how God interacts, if
he does
at all, is a different matter. Einstein didn't uphold any traditional
religious
view as far as I've seen but he does refer to it as "...reveals an
intelligence
of such superiority that..."

You don't agree w/ what?

Einstein was Jewish, therefore one must presume most of his thinking was
strongly influenced by that tradition and background. His involvement
w/ the establishment of Israel certainly would not contradict that
hypothesis.

But he spoke on the subject. We don't need to guess.

How does any of what you wrote negate the thought of Einstein looking
for underlying physical principles which are invariate over time and
space? That is, in fact, what he spent his career looking for...

I never suggested otherwise. Where do you get the science or god
dichotomy? My purpose in bringing up Einstein was that it need not
be an either or scenario.

He also said "A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot
penetrate, our perceptions of the profoundest reason and the most
radiant beauty, which only in their most primitive forms are accessible
to our minds - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute
true religiosity; in this sense, and this [sense] alone, I am a deeply
religious man."

He also said "I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the
orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with
the fates and actions of human beings."

As well as "What we [physicists] strive for is just to draw His lines
after Him." Summarizing his religious beliefs, he once said: "My
religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior
spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive
with our frail and feeble mind."

Victor J. Stenger wrote of Einstein's presumed pantheism, "Both deism
and traditional Judeo-Christian-Islamic theism must also be contrasted
with pantheism, the notion attributed to Baruch Spinoza that the deity
is associated with the order of nature or the universe itself. This also
crudely summarizes the Hindu view and that of many indigenous religions
around the world. When modern scientists such as Einstein and Stephen
Hawking mention 'God' in their writings, this is what they seem to mean:
that God is Nature."

In no way does any of his sayings suggest that Einstein beleived that ID
should be taught.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net