Don Foreman

Default OT - metal chop saw for logs?

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 04:17:06 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"
wrote:

This may not be a great idea but it has occurred to me that my 14" metal
chop saw, with a 14" *wood* blade, might be useful for cutting up small logs
(4" to 6" or so) into firewood lengths. Anyone ever try something like that
or have any comments??

Laurie Forbes

I think it would lug down and overheat in short order. Even a 10"
1-HP tablesaw (3450 RPM) will grunt a little cutting thick oak. The
chopsaw has about twice the speed so about half the torque -- and a
14" sawblade will need considerably more torque than a 10" blade does
-- and you're talking thicker wood than can be cut with a 10" saw.

Heavy duty hand-held circular saws have worm drives which reduce speed
and increase torque.

Saw blades need some torque, abrasive wheels need speed. A
chopsaw motor is not well-suited for running a large woodcutting blade
in thick wood.