Eide

Default Threading on a South Bend 9A

Thanks all,

I think the half nut might be the (my) problem. I know squat about lathes,
and this one is in the shop at work where no one knows anything about them
either. Good tip Jim about setting the gearbox to the leadscrew pitch and
checking that out. Thanks again everyone!

Eide

"Peter Grey" wrote in message
ink.net...
As the others said... make sure you're using the half nuts and not the
power feed. I went through conniptions with SB 11" until I realized that
the two produce different rates of feed...

Peter

"Eide" wrote in message
Hey all,

I'm looking for someone who can help me troubleshoot a South Bend 9A. I
have read the "How to operate a South Bend lathe" book, but doesn't have
the specific info I'm looking for. When I set the gears to cut a 20 tpi
thread it is real slow and looks to be cutting something like 40 or 60
tpi. I made sure the 20 tooth stud gear was on there, it is, and that's
all the farther I can get with the book. I was thinking someone at some
point switched a gear somewhere, but I don't even know where to start.

BTW, it's the same with all the settings, they all move the carriage too
slow. Even at the 4 tpi setting it cuts a smidge slower than 20 tpi.

Thanks,

Eide