Dave Fawthrop

Default Is this SDS compatable drill?

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 11:13:54 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| My big hammer drill got stolen, and I mow find that:
| 1. Drills no longer have chuck keys, and must be tightened by hand :-(
| 2: someone has introduced SDS Masonry drills which looks like a good idea.
|
| SDS drills don't use chuck keys but don't need tightening anyway though;
| they have a spring-loaded retractable sleeve which grips the bit.
|
| Yes do get one; you'll find them a complete revelation although IMHO it
| won't replace a smaller drill altogether. The SDS reciprocating action
| is much more powerful than that of a hammer drill, and doesn't start
| reciprocating until you apply a reasonable amount of pressure to it; so
| I find with mine it's almost impossible to drill right through a
| housebrick without a large chunk of clay breaking out the other side.
| And I don't let it near really old, somewhat friable bricks which can
| almost explode on impact!

As most of my masonry drills went with the hammer drill I will go for an
SDS.
Just found this on screwfix.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...6&homeRef=home

Robust construction for drilling and chiselling jobs. Features drill,
hammer and rotary stop, safety clutch, adjustable front handle and soft
grip. SDS chisel, SDS point chisel, 3 x SDS drill bits, keyed chuck and
adaptor supplied.
1250W
SDS Plus
Carry Case
£39.99

Looks OK for DIY, the rest look a bit expensive.
I like the rotary stop feature so I could use it as a light Kango.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.