Lobster

Default Is this SDS compatable drill?

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
My big hammer drill got stolen, and I mow find that:
1. Drills no longer have chuck keys, and must be tightened by hand :-(
2: someone has introduced SDS Masonry drills which looks like a good idea.

SDS drills don't use chuck keys but don't need tightening anyway though;
they have a spring-loaded retractable sleeve which grips the bit.

Yes do get one; you'll find them a complete revelation although IMHO it
won't replace a smaller drill altogether. The SDS reciprocating action
is much more powerful than that of a hammer drill, and doesn't start
reciprocating until you apply a reasonable amount of pressure to it; so
I find with mine it's almost impossible to drill right through a
housebrick without a large chunk of clay breaking out the other side.
And I don't let it near really old, somewhat friable bricks which can
almost explode on impact!

David