maxinemovies

On 08 Oct 2005 03:05:42 GMT, (Phil Marshall)
wrote:

maxinemovies email on
wrote:
[message trimmed]
http://spaces.msn.com/members/geekspaceport/

In the topmost blog entry, there are pictures of our
soon-to-be-delivered manufactured home. Among them, pictures of the
60" shower in the master bath. Between the time I ordered, and the
time they finished, they started getting roll-in showers, and I didn't
know, or I would have changed my order.

Long story short - I'm stuck with it and will have to remove it myself
and put in a new one. My questions:

1. How do we get this out? Can I hire a local handyman to rip it out?

2. How hard will it be to install this?
http://www.acessinc.com/cart/shopexd.asp?id=963
Can a handyman do it or do I need to hire a plumber?

Thanks!

Maxi

Hi Maxi:

First off congrats on the new home. May it bring you many years of
happiness.

Thanks. We're very excited about it and we can hardly wait until this
whole thing is over and we can be moved in.

Now regarding your dilemma. First thing that comes to mind is to ask do you
really need to rip out the shower? Could you instead use a 'transfer
bench' to move from the wheelchair to the seating area in the shower? It be
a hell of a lot cheaper, around $100 . I realize it is more convenient to
just roll in .... but you say that you are busting the budget right now, so
using a transfer bench could allow you to put off a MAJOR remodel for a
while. Just a thought.

Here are a couple of web sites that address mobility & independence needs.

http://www.disabilityproducts.com/cg...typroducts.cgi

The seats that are in the shower now are unsafe for me in my
condition. We really need a roll-in shower that I can put my own
shower chair into. (I do have a transfer board but don't use it
anymore. My illness has progressed to the point that it's dangerous to
be doing things like that.)

As for the budget, we've decided to get a $200 storage shed instead of
a fancy one over a grand. That will help a little for now. We'll also
cut back on a couple of other things. This shower is incredibly
important.

http://barrierfree.org/

The second site has a lot of roll in showers, plus other goodies. Have
fun.

~~Phil~~

Thanks!

Maxi