Sam Goldwasser wrote:
Andy Dingley writes:
On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 20:07:54 +0100, "Jonathan"
wrote:

Meantime, is there some way I can "damp" that circuit, so it's a little less
sensitive?

no

If only this one device is causing problem, you should replace it or
have it professionally repaired. Otherwise, you're putting a bandage
on a cancer.

Not really, a fixed appliance with a bit of leakage on a non-TT system
is a non risk. And leakage on cooker elements is normal.

1. Is your installation TT?
2. If not, replace the CU with a split circuit one, with the cooker not
on an RCD.
3. There isnt anything you can do to the cooker to make it work more
reliably, other than bypassing the neutral switching on the user
controls if its 2 pole switched. Since it pops when switched off this
may be what youve got, and keeping N connected will normally prevent
that.

However as others have said, I would not suggest you personally rush
into the work, not until youre a fair bit clearer about this.

If its jsut one specific ring that does it, you could replace that one.
But you shouldnt need to, its just a badly designed insall. Whole house
RCDs are deprecated now - after being compulsory before of course.
(This excludes TT systems, which have ane extra issue requiring whole
house RCD cover - but that is now implemented rather better than
previously)

NT