Mr Peterson

For laminate, MDF is the best substrate on surfaces that aren't
exposed to moisture. Best bet is to have it on a 3/4" plywood ladder
frame, esp under areas that you would place heavy items.

You would need very good A-C plywood to keep any irrgularities from
telegraphing through the laminate. I would save the birch for
something nicer.

-Matt

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 18:47:24 -0700, "Al"
wrote:

Building a couple corner computer desks for the SWMBO and I. Plans call for
MDF with laminate on both top and bottom for Tops (American Woodworker,
Oct), but I have 3/4 birch ply on hand and think it might have less sag over
time without the bottom laminate and 2 coats of finish. I've never put
laminate on the bottom of anything I've built and never had a problem, I
put several coats of finish to seal the wood.

So what I'm wondering, over time will MDF or Birch ply sag more? The only
weight on back section will be the monitor, yeah we're still with crt's.
Those lcd flat screens sure look nice, but, I was happy with my Radio Shack
Model I.

I did a few different things on this desk and will post when about finished
on abpw. If anyone else is building this desk I hope you show us what you
are doing.

Al in WA