Bill B

Tom Nie wrote:
Arch,

OK - let me add something I saw at the library at Arrowmont. The Woodturning
Masters Class, I think, by Tony Boase showed a couple times a huge rough
bowl being dried with a heat gun (hair dryer?) from the outside. These were
the famous "masters" at work.

Makes me wonder if one of those infra-red heaters next to the bowl while
turning would help. Get a woodturner's tan if nothing else.

Another thing would excite George and start some ..... Turn the bowl up to
over 3000rpm and just let it fling the water out for awhile. Sorta like LDD
without the soap.

TomNie

"Arch" wrote in message

There are threads in our archives re drying wood by vacuum drying and
freeze drying, also by osmotic pressure. As far as I know these methods
have never been of any use for woodturners due to physical and economic
problems.

I guess if there are many solutions to the drying problem, it probably
means that there is no one best method ...or just maybe the problem
hasn't been solved.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

With the right jack pulley, you could get 10,000 rpm, not even the bugs
could hang in there then :-)

--
Bill Berglin

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!" ... Unknown