Peter Grey

As the others said... make sure you're using the half nuts and not the power
feed. I went through conniptions with SB 11" until I realized that the two
produce different rates of feed...

Peter

"Eide" wrote in message
Hey all,

I'm looking for someone who can help me troubleshoot a South Bend 9A. I
have read the "How to operate a South Bend lathe" book, but doesn't have
the specific info I'm looking for. When I set the gears to cut a 20 tpi
thread it is real slow and looks to be cutting something like 40 or 60
tpi. I made sure the 20 tooth stud gear was on there, it is, and that's
all the farther I can get with the book. I was thinking someone at some
point switched a gear somewhere, but I don't even know where to start.

BTW, it's the same with all the settings, they all move the carriage too
slow. Even at the 4 tpi setting it cuts a smidge slower than 20 tpi.

Thanks,

Eide