Grant Erwin

Eide wrote:

Hey all,

I'm looking for someone who can help me troubleshoot a South Bend 9A. I have
read the "How to operate a South Bend lathe" book, but doesn't have the
specific info I'm looking for. When I set the gears to cut a 20 tpi thread
it is real slow and looks to be cutting something like 40 or 60 tpi. I made
sure the 20 tooth stud gear was on there, it is, and that's all the farther
I can get with the book. I was thinking someone at some point switched a
gear somewhere, but I don't even know where to start.

BTW, it's the same with all the settings, they all move the carriage too
slow. Even at the 4 tpi setting it cuts a smidge slower than 20 tpi.

Thanks,

Eide

You *are* using the half nuts and not the X powerfeed, right?

GWE