Robert Allison

Lawrence Glickman wrote:
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 20:42:16 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

remember from some where that 020 works for .325 chain, and 025 works for
3/8. The other 030 is for .404 chain.

Larger number makes for a much more agressive cut. Smaller depth number
makes smaller chips and cuts slower. I personally use 025 for most
everything.

What I do ( not recommended for weekend warriors ) is take the rakers
( depth gauges ) down with a Dremel Moto Tool. WAY down. Then my saw
is Super Agressive. But you take a chance doing this. It could
*bite* the wood and pull the saw out of your control, or it could
stall out the engine.

Certainly, I know how to finess this arrangement for maximum cut and
rpms by now. My saw cuts like a skip chain, with only 36 cc
displacement. And the chips fly. Into my face sometimes so I wear a
face shield.

I mention now, I am *advanced* level woodcutter. Doing this kind of
thing is not for beginner or even intermediate level. I do it because
I cut BIG TREES that are double my bar length in diameter.

Lg

I don't do that right out of the box, but the first time that
I have to take down the depth gauges, I also take them way
down. I think that depth gauges are set for maximum safety
and not for cutting efficiency and make running the saw a more
grueling task.

I love the feel of the "bite" after I take the DGs down. If
the saw is running good and you have a sharp chain, it is a
beautiful thing. It is a matter of holding the saw back,
rather than trying to push it through.

NOTE: I also was a professional tree cutter, having had my
own logging company. I do NOT recommend this to anyone else,
either. Do not try this at home!

You don't meet many people that have done this and felt the
power, so I just had to comment.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.