Acedrew

Default Mains powered downlighters

In my large "lean to" extension on my 1930's semi, I left the ceiling out
and plasterboarded straight onto the rafters. For lighting, I installed
about 15 mains powered, downlighters - recessed into the plasterboard
between the rafters (with the insulation cut away).

This looks great and gives good lighting, but is a complete pain in the
backside since the R63 bulbs are forever blowing. I used to keep on top of
this, but it is so frequent I've now given up.

Although the fittings are not brilliant (i.e poor mechanical design makes
for dodgy contact with the bulb) I suspect it is the cold/hot affect that
kills the bulbs on switch on.

Will moving over to LV or halogen improve my situation?

Any recommends as to a good brand of fitting?

TIA

Andy