mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Well ... if you're talking about an ellipse, you might try a ratio of
1.618 to 1 (about 8 to 5). That's what's called the "Golden Ratio",
which turns up in all sorts of mathematical areas.

The ancient Greeks(*) called rectangles and ellipses with that ratio the
"Golden Rectangle" and the "Golden Ellipse" ... which were reputed to be
the perfect ratio for beauty. For rectangles, a much larger ratio (like
2 to 1) looks "too long and skinny" whereas a lower ratio (like 3-to-2)
looks just a bit too "stumpy and squat".

Of course, it's all up to personal preference.

For the obscenely curious ... the Golden Ratio is (1 + SQRT(5)) to 2.

Jack

(*) Did you ever notice that no one ever references the "modern Greeks"?
I wonder why not?

Jim wrote:
My SO desires a couple 'perfect' oval tabletops she can mosaic
One about 2 feet wide the other about 20 inches.
Is there a desired width to depth shape that is more eye appealing than others.
I'm not really sure how to draw a perfect oval?
Or any oval for that matter.
Is there an easy way to do this. Knowing my SO this won't stop at two.
Thanks.