Greetings Phil,

You ask two questions.

Phil Schuman wrote:
well - title pretty much lays down the question...
We have a 2-story house,
with the family room behind the attached garage,
and above a stone crawl space.
The other part of the house area has a full unfinished basement.

I've had extra insulation blown into the attic area above the family
room,
but have done nothing in the crawl space under the family room.
This room seems to be a couple of degrees "different" from the rest of
the house...
Summer - it's not as cool with the A/C running.
Winter - it's not as warm with the furnance running.

Would laying some insulation in the crawl... help ?
along the sides - from foundation to where the floor meets the sides
under the floor - between the joists

Yes. More insulation always helps. I would start between the joists.

If so - what kind of insulation and what kind of facing -

Use craft faced batts. Use the highest R value that will fit. You can
staple it up with a staple gun or they have metal wire about the
thickness of a coathanger that will "bow" between the joists using
tension to hold up the insulation. If you really want to go crazy you
could also screw up some foamboard insulation but I wouldn't. Also
insulate air ducts and pipe in the crawl space. Do this before
installing the batts for easy access.

tnx for any comments - Phil -

Hope this helps,
William