DA

Default Insulating hot water pipes

Hello everyone,

Winter is just around the corner, and I'm trying to find a way to make my
water heater perform better than it did last year.

First off, it seems a bit too small for my family (50 gallon for 4
people). However, in addition to that I have hot water pipes coming out of
the heater to the bathroom and the kitchen, and I'd say there is at least
6-7 feet of bare copper pipes (before they enter the walls) in this first
floor closet. The closet gets cold in winter. Not too much, but I think
60F degrees is probably what it stays at for couple of months. I wonder if
it adds to our poor heater performance? Do you think water can loose much
temperature going through 6-7 feet of copper pipes? What materials one
uses to insulate the pipes? And, lastly, should the heater itself be
wrapped into some sort of a thermal insulation blanket to improve its
performance?

Thanks for all your feedback and ideas!

Cheers!
D.

Delivered via http://www.equity-loan.info
Your home, its financing and everything about it