Morris Dovey

George (in ) said:

| We don't publish honor rolls any more.

That's one choice. Another is to make certain that the kids receive
the recognition they've worked so hard to deserve. Here in Iowa, young
people get that recognition in print and on TV - and not just for
academics. Those with non-academic accomplishments are also given
public praise and recognition.

Recognition is one of the major facets of the Iowa State Fair (Yeah,
we show off our agricultural products but what we're really most proud
of is our kids) It's a Good Thing to take home a blue ribbon - but the
real jackpot is having a son or daughter take one home!

Equally important: recognition for the people who invested of
themselves to help it happen. Normally we think of teachers, athletic
coaches, and parents - but there are almost always others who make a
difference in fostering accomplishment. They also deserve
recognition - and that recognition has a way of inspiring others.

| We appoint valedictorians, they don't earn it.

Sounds like a local problem. 'Taint so here.

| Some places keep talking about abolishing any form of academic
measurement.

Proof that there is still no shortage of fools in the world.

| Education a hard sell? Not sure we'd recognize it if it happened.

Somebody (Zig Zigler?) once said that selling is the art of offering
people something to say "Yes" to. I think that has more than just a
grain of truth to it.

I'm pretty sure you'll recognize it if you make it happen. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar