Tom Nie

When you work on an air conditioning system you "vacuum it down" after you
close it back up. The moisture is discharged through the vacuum pump outlet
in vapor form. If I recall you have to exceed 27" or even 29" (30" perfect?)
before any "boiling/vaporizing" begins. You will go far below RH or EMC.
Automotive repair equipment works just fine on auto sized systems.

A problem would be constructing the perfect enclosure since the tiniest
vacuum leak defeats the process preventing you from achieving the 27" or so.
I'm sure there must be industrial pumps and systems.

TomNie

"Bill B" wrote in message
news
I was microwaving a piece dry this AM and got to wondering. Since several
woodturners have vacuum pumps, has anyone tried vacuum drying wood? Should
work, just need a decent pump and a good bell jar. At a low enough
pressure the water would boil out, I would think similar to microwaving.
Ought to be faster as you don't have to worry about scorching the wood.
Pull a vacuum and leave it be for a bit.

Maybe another reason to give SWMBO as to why I need a vacuum pump.

--
Bill Berglin

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
'WOW! What A RIDE!!" ... Unknown