Joseph Meehan

Sherman wrote:
I would seriously consider replacing all the duct work with new
higher R-Value duct work. My local home depot has several choices
for R-value for their flexible duct.

I recommend avoiding "flexible" duct whenever possible. It insulates
OK, but it does not have good air flow.

Ductwork in a conditioned space like interior walls or floors, does not
generally need insulation.

For those installations were flexible duct is unavoidable and where the
ductwork will in an area that is not conditioned, then I definitely should
be insulated.

Spend some money now and with
gas prices tripling, you will be handsomely repaid.

The furnace you choose will have specific venting requirements so
just read the documentation that comes with the furnace. Many of the
furnace installation docs are online so check their web site.

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 20:19:25 -0600, Christian Fox
wrote:

Hi,

I'm planning on getting a high-efficiency natural gas-fired furnace
to replace our current 15-year old standard-efficiency furnace within
the next year or so.

I've heard that the high-efficiency furnaces require different
ducting, and use a vent on the side of the house rather than a
chimney as an exhaust.

Our current furnace has two insulated ducts going to the side of the
house, and the chimney running to the roof. If I get a new
high-efficiency furnace, is it likely that the ducts to the wall will
need to be changed?

The reason I ask is that I'm considering finishing my basement, and
if I do the ducts won't be easily accessible. If the ductwork will
need to get changed or replaced, I'd rather do that before finishing
the basement ceiling.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Christian Fox

--