Steve

Default Stone support column

I am finishing up a 8 x 12 screened porch that has two of its sides
attached to the house. That leaves one corner that needs support. The
porch is inset into the corner or the house (one story) so the weight
of the roof and the porch will be bearing on the column. It is about
9' off the ground. The plan was to have a mason build a 18" x 18"
granite column to support this corner. I want to use granite to match
the foundation which is granite. A builder friend of recently told me
that the granite column really isn't strong enough to hold up the porch
and that I should use a 4" steel post because it would be stronger.
For me a steel post is not acceptable because of the looks unless it it
encased. Anyway, my feeling is that a properly built stone column is
WAY more than adequate but before I proceed I though I would check and
see if this builders argument has any merit or should I just dismiss it
as bad advice.

Is there anyone here who might have some insight into this question?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve