James Sweet

"Brad" wrote in message
Hi,

My "main" computer is a Gateway "Color Book II" laptop. It is
on every day from 7:30AM until almost 6:00PM. I have been
using it like this for about 7 years. It has a 1.6 GB hdd. Recently,
for the first time, the hdd started to "wine" (high pitched) for about
3 minutes. Then it became quiet and remained quiet. Afterwards,
I still have no trouble reading/writing files to the hdd.

Is this "wine" sound a sign that my hdd may be failing soon?

Thanks in advance, Brad

It could go on like that for years, or it could die tomorrow. At the very
least backup your data now! 1.6 GB is nothing to backup these days and
you'll be kicking yourself if you don't do it.