John B

Jay Pique wrote:
Andy wrote:

I think it'd be fine to soak your bits in Simple Green - just be sure
to lube them with router bit bearing lube or something else appropriate
as soon as they dry. If you're trying to get pitch off the blades, I
don't think Simple Green (a degreaser, right?) would be the most
effective solvent - I'd get some blade/bit cleaner and wipe off the
blades, and leave the lubricant in the bearings. Not worth going cheap
on tool maintainence if you have lots of money in the tools already.
Let us know what works,

The Simple Green definitely will take off the pitch, but it appears to
have also taken the lubrication out of the bearing as well. When I
spin it now you can sort of feel it wiggle just a touch, versus before.
I think I'll remove the bearings from now on before soaking them!
(Or, more likely, I'll get the CMT stuff someone else mentioned.)

So to summarize: I recommend you do NOT soak your bearing guided router
bits in Simple Green as it will negatively affect the bearings.

JP
Meliora baby.

Chuck your bearing in a jar of motor oil and give a good shake and soak
for half an hour or so and it'll be fine.
Quite often router bit bearings become tight and stiff due to dust and
wear so every now and again I remove the bearing wash, soak it in turps
and then in motor oil. Have never had one seize up.
Regards
John