mr electron

Water pump grease is on the same lines as a metric crescent wrench or a
1971 VW Beetle thermostat.

wrote:
About 15 years ago, I worked in a mechanical shop that had a 5 gallon
pail of what was called "water pump grease". There was no label on the
product, that is simply what everyone called it. It was super thick
grease, green in color. People used it for all types of things, such
as putting a finger-full of it in the rear cavity on an axle shaft seal
that has the little spring on the inside so that the spring did not
fall out from the shock when hammering the seal in place, etc.

Anyways, I filled up a margarine tub way back then and have been using
it for a few particular jobs. My supply is very low, and the shop that
had the stuff has long since closed, so I turn to the group and ask if
anyone has ever seen this stuff before?? If so where is a possible
source? thanks in advance, Ron