Greg O

wrote in message
ups.com...
We are planning on a new gas furnace next month. We have gotten
several estimates and some conflicting advice. One person told us to
get a 90% efficient furnace. It will require venting from the side of
the house. The second person said that these vents can freeze up in
the winter and cause flooding in the basement and possible carbon
monoxide troubles. He suggested the older type, an 80% efficient
furnace which can use our existing roof vent.

Dumbest thing I ever heard in reference to furnaces! Sure most of what he
said may be possible, but unlikely! The venting on an 80% can have problems
too, and kill you! Flooding? Maybe, but just a small amount of water
certainly not a "flood"! The chances of getting CO problems with a 90% are
less than the are with a 80%.

Get the higher efficiency and be done with it! I just pulled a 90+ furnace
out that was 15 yeas old. It cost me $5 in parts in that time. It only let
me down twice, one when a motor capacitor blew, and once when the condensate
drain plugged up. The only reason I replaced it is because it was too large
so I installed a smaller BTU Ruud modulating furnace. hoping to reduce gas
bills and increase comfort, so far it has been more comfortable than the old
furnace.
Greg