Charlie Self

George wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote in message
ps.com...

Nonsense. Teaching ABOUT a religion is not the same as teaching a
religion. It is the teaching ABOUT religion that the Bible thumpers
dislike.

You are their spokesman?

Of course I am. It reads like that, right?

Comparative religion courses are anathema to religious types.

Now explain "anathema" without mentioning religion.

Lose your dictionary? Try something that is loathed, or shunned,
neither of which has to be religious. I loathe George Bush and shun
those with his hypocritical attitudes.

Let them compare beliefs. In case you hadn't looked, they're more alike
than different, in the end. Just like "multiculturalism" misses the point
by emphasizing difference and ignoring similarity.

Ever try to teach literature to this generation who doesn't know their
Bible?

You don't live around here, I'll bet (part of the Bible Belt). The
Bible is often the only reading most of these kids do these days.

Good, then they'll only have to become more conversant with Greek mythology
to major in English Literature.

Actually, most of them couldn't major in English without a looooooooong
running start and a new brain. They wouldn't know a Greek myth from a
Christian myth, but they're thoroughly conversant with redneckisms.

And yes, I know this is far too general, but you do seem to like
silly-assed generalities that have little meaning.