John Emmons

Charlie,

Your description of the "bible belt" also applies to other areas of the
country. IN my case, Southern California.

I recall a class on the history of religion in the mediterranean area while
I was in college. A publically funded university, which I'm sure will make
Mr. Daneliuk's skin crawl...

The class was taught by a former Baptist minister who had gone on to study
Buddhism. Fascinating guy.

It took less than a week for a well intentioned but stupid student to start
refuting every thing he mentioned in the lectures with the refrain, "it
doesn't say that in the bible..."

This person disputed the very existence of other religions, claiming that
any belief system other than christianity was simply wrong...

I finally raised my hand and told her that I hadn't paid my tuition to hear
what she thought. She left the class never to return after that.

Getting back to the point I tried to make in my earlier post, the professor
wasn't demanding that her church teach his beliefs, why do christians
insist on having schools teach about theirs?

John Emmons

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
ps.com...

George wrote:
"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
t...
"Fletis Humplebacker" ! writes:

If you
want your children to study ID, send them to sunday school or
bible study. Don't expose my kids to that nonsense.

scott

Such wisdom. I hope you aren't a teacher.

Semantically void comeback.

Proper comeback. Agree with, I believe it's Fletis. Strange what we

teach.
We have to teach them about the Indian - excuse me "First Americans,"

which
puzzles me, because they want to be considered "sovereign nations" -
beliefs. We even take them to pow-wows. We can't teach the dominant

belief
system or take them to its festivals, though.

Nonsense. Teaching ABOUT a religion is not the same as teaching a
religion. It is the teaching ABOUT religion that the Bible thumpers
dislike.

Comparative religion courses are anathema to religious types.

Ever try to teach literature to this generation who doesn't know their
Bible?

You don't live around here, I'll bet (part of the Bible Belt). The
Bible is often the only reading most of these kids do these days.