Dave Hinz

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 16:03:32 -0400, Al A wrote:

This tool has a 5 year warranty. So I bring it to the local Milwaukee
authorized service place. They call me a few days later and tell me
that the Milwaukee rep is refusing the warranty repair because there
are "scratches" on the bottom of the blade guard that suggest that it
was dropped.

Dents would be dropped. Scratches are from a sliging action (such as,
for instance, using the saw).

c)Whenever one sets the saw down, the design is such that it rests, at
least partially, on the blade guard. As the saw weighs in at 16.8 lbs,
I don't think it is surprising that it is scratched and dinged up a
bit.

Mine is, I'm sure. It's also scratched.

d) it is enough that a $235.00 "pro-grade" tool with the reputation of
Milwaulkee Electric behind it would have parts flying off of it, but
seems silly to then have the company refuse to repair it. I know
nothing is perfect and that stuff breaks, it's the second part that I
find most bothersome.

Sounds like you need to escalate to the idiot's boss. Be polite but
firm, and don't hesitate to mention, if you choose, that their customer
base will only stay that while they have good tools and back that up.
Weaseling on a warranty repair isn't good for reputation.

e) I know nobody will believe this, but if I broke it, I would just
fess up and buy the casting (which costs 37 bucks, not outrageous,
IMHO) and change it myself. That's just how I am. But I DID NOT break
it!

I believe you; I'm the same way.

As I am only talking to the bench guy at the repair place, and it is
not his decision to make, I politely ask if he could please refer me
to the Milwaulkee rep to ask him to reconsider. He said that he would
pass my complaint along to the rep, along with my phone number. I have
not yet heard back from the rep. I have a call in to the regional
manager as well, am awaiting a call back. To be fair, I just called
the reigonal guy this morning, so it is still early on that front.

See what the regional guy has to say. The bench guy is making policy
decisions that he shouldn't be, seems to me. That needs to be fixed one
way or the other.

Have any of you guys had this sort of experience with Milwalkee? I
own lots of their stuff, and love it all. I have never had occasion to
seek a warranty repair, so I found it rather annoying that I get this
sort of thing for the one time in 25 years that I do.

Am I being unreasonable here?

Not at all; if anything, a bit too passive. "I'll pass your info on to
the guy" wasn't a reasonable response from him, and I don't think you'd
have been out of place to insist at that point, "No, I will call _him_.
How do I do that please?"

Please let us know how this works out. I don't buy a lot of tools, but
if Milwaukee has gone downhill, I'd like to know it. Green/grey is as
good as red, from a color scheme perspective...