Simon

"Richard Conway" wrote in message
Huge wrote:
Richard Conway writes:

Set Square wrote:

Huge wrote:

Anyone recommend a good rechargeable torch? My elderly B&D one has
given up the ghost, the cheap bazillion power spotlights in the sheds
have batteries made of lard and Maglite want hundreds of pounds(!)
for their "rechargeable torch system".

I want one that I can leave plugged in all the time and it would be
nice if it recharged from 12V as well as mains and came on
automatically in a power cut.

Have you considered the wind-up variety - which you can recharge

yourself
without needing a mains supply?

Can you really get those

Oh, yes. Several kinds.

Nah, you're just cranking my handle now!

They really exist. We bought one when we went wandering around the Amazon.
It has two light settings but with full charge it only lasts about 5 min on
the brightest. They now make them with LEDs instead of a bulb so they might
last longer. You also get ones that you shake instead of winding up. As you
can imagine that caused many comments when someone started recharging it
before leaving the pub.

Found a shake torch on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8701321486
and here is a wind up one http://www.ogormans.co.uk/freeplay.htm