none

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 08:59:24 -0400, crevitch wrote:

I am in the process of transcribing my 8mm tapes to DVD. After doing
about 8 of them, I started to experience sync problems. I used a head
cleaning cassette. This seems to work, but now I cannot get through a
whole tape without needing to clean again. This happens with two
cameras, and more than one tape. The tapes are about 12 years old.
When the heads are clean the tapes look perfect.

Does anyone know what is going on? Have I damaged the machines by using
the tape cleaners such that they get dirty much faster. Or is there
some coincidence that I have several tapes that are dirty. Is there
some way to clean the tape?

I have used the camera for recording for many years without using the
cleaning cassette, and never experienced problems with record or
playback. However, this is the first time I am using the camera for
playing entire 2 hour tapes.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Sounds like the tapes are getting a bit too old and are starting to
break down, giving you dirty heads as a result.
Over cleaning the heads wouldn't be the problem, just make sure
they're good and dry before playing any tapes or you'll dirty the
heads back up pronto.(cleaning solution is murder on old tapes and
will wash the loose oxides off and onto the head just like that.)
Just make sure the heads are clean and dry then capture short runs of
the tapes to DVD instead of trying for it all at once.