rider89

It would be a major mistake to not replace this cast iron, if the problems
with it are so apparent.
A no-brainer.

bill

"blueman" wrote in message
We need to tap into the waste pipe close to where it exits our basement
in order to get enough elevation to reach a basement sink we are
installing.

However, when we had the plumber come in, he noticed that the pipe
appears to have some hairline cracks and rusting flakes. The plumber
is afraid that if he cuts in to the existing pipe to put in a "T", he
may crack the whole pipe including the adjacent part that runs through
the foundation. Needless to say, this would be a b--ch to repair.

Any way to "strengthen" or brace the pipe so that he can cut into it
more safely?

Would putting generous amounts of JB Weld around any of the cracked
areas be sufficient? (probably not, I imagine)

Thanks