The trimmer should be peaked at the top of the dial.

Check to see if the wax has let go, and if the coil is loose(ish) on
the ferrite bar move it back and forth a bit to peak the low end.
(if it does, seal it in place again with a few drips of wax from a
burning candle)

Yes, I checked the antenna coil and it looks to be in good original
shape. There are 2 windings for the 540-1600Khz band and another
winding for the 160-340Khz overseas band.

I disconnected the overseas winding to check for loading on the other
band but no success.

The factory trimmer capacitor settings seem to be wrong since a couple
were set to maximum capacitance.

I think the problem is in the oscillator/mixer stage but I can't get
the main tuning dial off to get the circuit board out.
There is a emblem glued into the center of the tuning dial that covers
up a screw that holds on the tuning dial. I may have to drill it out to
get it off.

Problems and more problems.

-Bill