Alan Raisanen

And what's wrong with silicon wafer etched nano-bots?

At night I use my WWII era Monarch Lathe and Atlas shaper, plus a motley
collection of taiwanese mills and other machines, to build the plasma
etchers and PECVD tools I use at the university to make much smaller stuff.
Like a fluid pump 60 microns wide, a gas turbine wheel and stator housing
100 microns across, and torsion spring mechanisms less than a micron thick.
All silicon and glass materials.

Life is good!

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
Since mechanical watchmaking has been obsoleted (AFAIK) I'm curious
what current industry is similarly motivated to develop miniature
mechanical mechanisms? I'm talking about metalworking here -- not
silicon wafer etched nano-bots. Thanks.