dicko

I've successfully used a regular mouse trap to trip the larger trap.
Somehow fasten the mousetrap to the base of the bigger trap so it cant
move. Then tie a string from the mousetrap bar to the trigger on the
bigger trap so the mousetrap gives a good tug on the trigger.

Bait the mousetrap and you're in business.

dickm

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 07:35:25 -0400, "Steve" wrote:

Squirrels in the attic!

I'm using two traps.
One is for a "small squirrel " Its very sensitive, I closed one end and put
corn and peanut butter at the closed end. They got at the corn last night
and triggered the trap but they were not in it. I'm guessing they are to
big, the door closed on their but and didn't lock down and they were able to
back out of the trap. the door shut behind them when they got out???

The other trap is a large old rusty one I borrowed. Its about 14" x 12" x 3
feet long. I hung an apple in the trap and covered the trap with a cloth
because they were getting at the apple from the outside (I think?) They keep
eating at the apple but not triggering the trap. I tried adjusting the trap
to make it more sensitive but still no luck.

I think the small trap wont work so I'm trying one more thing with the large
trap. I cut a piece of plywood slightly smaller than the floor of the trap.
I rest the board on the trigger plate creating a ramp the squirrel will have
to walk on to enter the trap and get to the back of the trap where the bait
is. This wont allow the squirrel to step over the trigger and the extra
weight of the board will make the trap more sensitive...

I set this up before coming to work this morning, I'll see when I get
home...

I haven't found their entry yet! I'm going up on the roof tonight to check
around the chimney...

Sr