Joseph Meehan

Pop wrote:
Good grief, Joe, where have you been? That's an uncharacteristic
answer from you, one of handful of knowledgeable posters here.
Sorry, I'm not trying to be confrontational; honest.

An ozone generator sized for the volume of the space, even
oversized pretty much, would not be a problem to pets or people.
It would however present the same problems for people that it did
for pets.
It's very unlikely to be any problem, but if the guy doing it
isn't a sensible person, the question might be: Is this an
approved generator, is it properly sized, and is it going to be
run per the requirements and usage stated in its paperwork?
EVERY ozone generator sold in the US and UK (I'm assuming the OP
is in the US) has to have approvals and has to include
instructions on using it.

From the FWIW department, ozone generators are the exact item
most motels and hotels use to keep their rooms fresh smelling.
They do a good job of covering cirgarettes and "people" odors.
You'l also find them in many of the better rest rooms in
restaurants, offices and many other places. And some of those
are run 24/7 but that's an exception.
Ozone is that nice, fresh smell you notice after a lighting
storm has passed.

of 931,000 hits at Google, here's a couple of links that talk up
a good hype for ozone generators; don't believe it all, but it's
mostly true.
www.air-zone.com Purify Air, Kill Mold, Whole House US
Patented, Factory Direct pricing
Ozmotics Ozone Generators
www.Ozmotics.com Top-quality commercial & industrial high
grade ozone generators.
Ozone generator -purifier
www.jenesco.com Praised for treating mold-mildew, bacteria,
and odors. $129 & up

On the other side of the coin, here's a link against them; but
you have to keep in mind that there are a lot of different kinds
of generators.

Sorry; It's just that I was a compliance tester in a previous
life and tested thousands of them for the hotel/motel industry.

I think we are talking about two different kinds of ozone generators.
Some generate very small amounts and are designed for the kind of use you
refer to. They mostly just make the air smell like the after the
thunderstorm smell. Frankly I don't like even those amounts. While they
Ozone amounts may be legal, I don't like any additional to the background
already there. That stuff does bad things to all living things.

However I suspect the OP was talking about a far different ozone
generator. They may them with enough output to kill the mold and most any
other living thing in the area. Using the type you were talking about would
not really help with the OP's problem.

Note the following on your first referenced web page: "OZONE IS VERY
EFFECTIVE IN KILLING MOLD by the use of unoccupied room High Ozone Shock
Treatments. "

Note the word "unoccupied room" This is not what you would use in a
motel room to make it smell clean.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
: Cartrivision1 wrote:
: Hello, the apartment I live in has had a bad mildew problem since I
: moved in 2 years ago. It is a 3-plex, with a small studio apt. in
: the basement. The owner had a mold removal company come out and
: look at the problem. They suggested cutting back the landscape to
: get more natural light, using dehumidifiers, and also removing the
: mold in the crawlspace underneath the house.
:
: Well the landlord did all of the above, but does not want to shell
: out the $ to have the mold removed. He is trying to cheap out on
: this, claiming the mold removal company only can guarantee their
: work for 1-year. He says that there was a couple of water leaks
: in both the basement laundry room and the basement studio, and
: that he is also going to put down another layer of plastic over
: the dirt in the crawlspace.
:
: He also wants to run an ozone generator for a few hours underneath
: the house. Would it be necessary to remove my pets from my apt.
: if the ozone machine is being run under the house, and how
: effective would running it for only 6 hours be towards the problem?
:
:
: thanks
: CTV
:
: Your landlord may have no choice. Check with your local
: authorities. They may insist that proper mold removal be done. To
: be fair about this there is mold and there is MOLD. Most mold is
: harmless, but ugly and slinky. But some is harmful.
:
: Ozone is nasty stuff. I would not want to be anywhere around
: where they are going to pump enough in to attack a mold problem. I
: would not allow my pets there either. Make sure everything is very
: well aired out after they are done and before you and your pets
: return.
:
:
: --