Set Square

Chris ] wrote:

The pilot light on my gas fire won't stay on.

Any ideas?

As soon as I release the gas push-button, after the recommended twenty
seconds, the pilot light goes out.

The pilot light heats up a thermocouple which produces a very small amount
of electric current - but sufficient to feed a coil in the gas valve which
holds the gas on. Pressing the button over-rides the flame failure device,
and allows the pilot to be lit.

If the pilot doesn't stay lit, the possible causes a
* Pilot flame not strong enough to heat the thermocouple
* Incorrectly aligned thermocouple
* Crud in the pilot jet, deflecting the flame away from the thermocouple
* Duff electrical connection between thermocouple and gas valve
* Duff coil in gas valve

So check that the flame is of a reasonable size, and that the TC is in the
hottest (blue) part of the flame. Check the connections and, if necessary,
check the continuity of the coil to which the TC connects.
--
Cheers,
Set Square