fred

In article , Grunff
writes
Karen wrote:

I was told that before I
lay the new insulation I should put down a layer of aluminium foil before
laying the insulation between the joists, as this will reflect heat back
down into the rooms below. Is this correct or his the person giving me this
advice talking a load of ********.

While it's technically correct, the amount of energy it will reflect
will be negligible, so for all intents and purposes they are talking
********.

Gggggrn not the right answer, foil will only reflect heat where the transfer
mechanism is radiation, when in direct contact with any material, the heat
transfer mech will be conduction so it wont help at all. It'll only help it's
adjacent to an air gap and even then the efficiency will be reduced as the
foil tarnishes.

I agree with the end result tho', ******** was spake . . .
--
fred