Bruce Barnett wrote:
Australopithecus scobis writes:

My question is why anyone would choose to be an ignorant fool: The
creationists and other fundies, the "moon hoax" nuts, the "there is no
global warming" heads-in-the-sand; the list goes on. Why does anyone
drink the Kool-Aid of willful ignorance?

Unfortunately our schools teach memorization over thinking. I was
really upset when a local teacher "taught" their class that you can
only balance an egg on end on the equinox.

This is a teacher. A simple experiment would be able to test this
theory, yet the teacher was woefully ignorant of the principles of
science and ended up teaching her kids an urban legend.

Of course. Teachers are a great source of Urban Legends. So
are ministers, police and scientists. These are all people
who have a fascination with rules and order and that comes
with a keen interest and curiosity in the supposed counter
examples.

Few scientists will fall for the egg/equinox legend but _The
State Legislature set pi = 3_ is rather popular among them.

That teacher should be encouraged to have the class try balancing
eggs on the equinoxes, and the solstices too. Class should
be in session for at lesat one of each. Make it homework if
the event is on the weekend/holiday.

--

FF