Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 19:28:56 GMT, the renowned "Pete C."
wrote:

Dave wrote:

Since mechanical watchmaking has been obsoleted (AFAIK) I'm curious
what current industry is similarly motivated to develop miniature
mechanical mechanisms? I'm talking about metalworking here -- not
silicon wafer etched nano-bots. Thanks.

Um, mechanical watch making still exists, it's just been relegated to
the high end of the market. There is also plenty of micro machining
going on in various areas (medical, sensors, etc.).

Pete C.

I read a story in an airline magazine about some guy in China who
makes wris****ches entirely by hand, a handful per year. He gets a
decent sum for each one (especially for China), at least $10K US IIRC,
maybe more, and he's got a long waiting list.

Mind you, you can pay around that much for an off-the-shelf Breitling
or Blancpain.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany