Grunff

Karen wrote:

I was told that before I
lay the new insulation I should put down a layer of aluminium foil before
laying the insulation between the joists, as this will reflect heat back
down into the rooms below. Is this correct or his the person giving me this
advice talking a load of ********.

While it's technically correct, the amount of energy it will reflect
will be negligible, so for all intents and purposes they are talking
********.

Also the house is a upstairs downstairs
type and I have discovered that there is no insulation of any type between
the floors. Just a gap. Should I put any insulation in there? It would have
to be a type that could be put in without lifting the flooring but there is
some access from a cupboard under the stairs. Would it be worth while or
would the hassle involved outweigh the advantages? Or is this not normally
insulated?

Why would you insulate the floor? Any heat lost from downstairs will
simply end up upstairs - so overall you lose nothing.

I hope that I can get some correct advice from this group as the person who
is giving me advice at the moment seems to make it up as he goes along. I
think he may be for the chop.

Good plan. His name isn't IMM/Drivel, is it?

--
Grunff