Asimov

" bravely wrote to "All" (04 Oct 05 21:08:24)
--- on the heady topic of "Old 6 transistor Radio repair"

Bill,

First, I don't think tweaking everything within reach is a wise repair
technique (grains of salt). Try and set everything back the way it was
from the factory. Seems to me that the ferrite antenna is being loaded
down and is now over-critically damped, hence the double peak. Check
the gain of the mixer or rf amp transistor. Likely leaky electros due
to age? Might be a ps feedback or unfiltered agc making problems?

A*s*i*m*o*v

wr From:
wr Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:344196

wr I have an old 6 transistor radio (Spiket 2 Band, MW and LW) made in
wr Okenawa Japan. Complete with leather case, looks to be a late 1950s or
wr early 60s model.

wr The radio works well toward the lower end of the AM band and also
wr upper end, but reception drops off in the middle of the band around
wr 800KHz, but the reception is good if I touch the antenna loopstick.

wr I have tried to peak the antenna trimmer capacitor with no effect
wr around 800KHz, but the trimmer does peak the stations near the high
wr end.

wr I have also tried to adjust the main tuning capacitor along with the
wr oscillator coil to try and get a peak around 800Khz without success.

wr I have connected a generator to a couple turns of wire around the
wr antenna loopstick and monitored the signal on a scope. It tunes very
wr well and there is a sharp peak wherever I set the generator and tune
wr the cap. The local oscillator signal on the tuning capacitor also
wr looks good with fairly constant amplitude across the band.

wr It's a perplexing problem. Everything works well, but reception
wr is poor in the middle of the band.

wr Any ideas?

wr -Bill

.... If you don't know what leever "A" does then you better leever "B"