David

BillyBob wrote:

"David" wrote in message
. ..

ragged again. That area, when smooth, looks to my eye like the rest of
the surface. Is there no way to tell what wood will tear out, by some
visible feature, in the grain?

I don't have a weatlh of experience, but I know when the grain looks like
little eddys in a pool of water its going to be a bear. With a very sharp
blade, you are able to make other adjustments that help tear out. First,
set the cut depth to make very thin shavings. If the plane has a mouth
adjustment, set it very tight. Lastly, planing diagonally or in kind of a
swirling motion may help with these tough areas. Alternatively, a cabinet
scraper may save the day.

Bob

I do set the plane for very light cuts and the mouth so narrow you have
to hold it just right to see daylight through the tiny slit. I have
a LV scraper plane which I've learned to adjust pretty well now, so that
I can get a wonderfully smooth surface. Thanks for the additional
suggestion (swirling), Bob.

Dave