Adam Smith

Well you do get a three jaw and a couple of driver plates, so at least you
can get started. You will want a 4 jaw as well. They don't say whether there
is a center with it, or what the center is. I think it will be a standard
size morse, so you should be ok buying one, if necessary. You might ask the
vendor if there is a center included, though.

Maybe just a bit smaller than I'd prefer for an only lathe, but a hell of a
lot more than the 7" chinese that Rex was advocating as a starter. If its
large enough to turn the work you have planned, it should be nice. You'd get
a better buy if you go for something larger, I'm pretty sure that the one
you're looking at will go for quite a bit more than the current bid, small
stuff always brings a premium, because of all the people wanting to put the
lathe in the basement. Of course getting something substantially bigger
would substantially increase the task of rigging and hauling.

5000 sq feet of shop space sounds nice, what are you planning on making?

I only spent a bit of time on a South Bend, and it was a long time ago.
Hopefully one of the South Bend people will chime in with a more informed
opinion. It would be interesting to know whether this is a "heavy 10" or a
"standard 10", I believe SB did both. I think Jim Rozen is running a Heavy
10, Jim what do you think of Hot Rod's candidate?

Adam Smith
Midland, ON

"HotRod" wrote in message
OPINIONS?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ADME:B:SS:CA:1

remember this is a first Lathe, should I wait for one with tooling?